Weight Loss (scientific) & Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric Surgery is a procedure adopted to bring about excessive weight reduction in highly obese people. Commonly called weight loss surgery, this procedure is advised for extremely obese people when their weight cannot be reduced by mere diet control and exercise; and this excessive weight begins to take a toll on their normal life.
Are you eligible for Bariatric Surgery?
Generally women weighing more than 80 kg and men over 100 kg are advised to undergo bariatric surgery. Some other factors that doctors consider in order to decide whether or not a person requires Bariatric Surgery include:
- Assessment of Body Mass Index (BMI) of a patient
- Assessing if he/she is suffering from diabetes, with consistently uncontrollable and high sugar levels
- Is the excessive body weight leading to joint pains
- Is the patient having to deal with severe other health concerns like high blood pressure, heart conditions, constant acidity , high cholesterol , kidney problems, obstructive sleep apnea, and so on; on account of obesity
- If the patient has failed to reduce considerable weight through diet change and exercise
Bariatric Surgery techniques
Bariatric Surgery techniques primarily focus on either restricting food intake in obese people or reducing the absorption of nutrients in the body. The technique used for the surgery often depends upon the condition of the patients - their BMI, health problems being caused by obesity, previous stomach related surgeries and so on.
Bariatric Surgery may involve use of techniques like:
- Adjustable gastric banding: This procedure involves the use of an inflatable band in order to reduce the size of a patient’s stomach. This technique restricts the quantity of food one can consume at a time. This is the fastest and least invasive weight loss surgery technique and can also be reversed if required.
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy: This surgery again restricts food intake as it involves removal of a major part of the stomach; post surgery instead of a stomach the patient is left with a narrow sleeve. However, unlike gastric banding, the vertical sleeve gastrectomy procedure is irreversible.
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass : One of the most popular weight-loss techniques, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass combines both principles of bariatric surgeries- restricting food intake and reducing absorption of nutrients by the body. This procedure involves dividing the stomach in two parts and then connecting the upper part of the stomach directly to the lower part of the small intestine by bypassing the upper portion of the intestine; thus, reducing the stomach size and also reducing area for food absorption.
- Bilio-pancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch: This procedure is like gastric bypass. However, a lesser portion of the stomach is removed in this case and the small intestine is bypassed. This technique is not very popular as it is the most complicated of all weight loss surgeries.
Bariatric Surgery can be an open or a laparoscopic one; the latter is often preferred by most patients as it less painful, does not generally cause post-operative complications and involves less recovery time.
One must keep in mind that just undergoing this surgical procedure is not enough to overcome obesity or get rid of the health conditions it has resulted in. Post surgery a patient needs to religiously follow a strict diet and exercise regimen to keep the weight under control. In many cases patients may also require to undergo further surgery to deal with loose fat.
Why opt for Fortis C-DOC-Bariatric Surgery Hospital in Delhi ?
Fortis C-DOC-Centre of Excellence for Diabetes, Metabolic Diseases & Endocrinology; offers weight loss (scientific) and Bariatric Surgery by some of our country’s best specialists in the field.
A highly reputed Bariatric Surgery hospital in Delhi, Fortis C-DOC adopts state-of-the-art and highly researched weight loss surgery techniques for the benefit of its patients.
Our Bariatric Surgery team of experts is always available to guide and advise the patient through the procedure and afterwards as well. During patient counseling before the surgery, our doctors ensure that patients are aware of all precautions this surgery requires and the changes it will bring around. Our post operative care is one of the best provided in any Bariatric Surgery Hospital in Delhi, in addition to the expert guidance provided on lifestyle changes, diet precautions as well as necessary exercise regimes to be followed for smoother and faster recovery.